Friday, July 14, 2017

Weekly Happenings & a Recipe

Hey Friends! 

Another weekend is upon us. Yay! I hope you have some fun planned. It's supposed to be beautiful weather here and I plan to take advantage of it! ;) For my 5 today I thought I'd just share a bit about my week. I will also finally share that brownie recipe I've been promising. 


ONE











Early in the week my Mom and I strolled around our beautiful local rose garden while Annie finished up soccer practice. There were still several peonies in bloom and many gorgeous roses. Such a lovely place to stroll and chat. The park overlooks beautiful Lake Superior too. 









TWO











A couple days this week were gray and rainy. Perfect for some summer home cooking. So I made slow cooker BBQ ribs, pasta salad, and honey butter glazed cornbread muffins. We also had some corn on the cob and melon to round out a wonderful summer meal. 








THREE




Also this week, our sweet Girl got her braces on! See the before and after smiles. ;) 









FOUR




And today my Girl and I decided to beat the summer heat with a little shopping and lunch at our local A&W. The best root beer around! I had just a plain frosty mug but she went with the float! Mmmmmm












FIVE





And as promised a yummy brownie recipe. These are often called mississippi mud or rocky road brownies. You can find the original recipe on my pinterest board called sweet treats here.  They are very rich and so yummy - especially with the homemade frosting on top! Here is the recipe:


Ingredients
For the brownies:
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
  • 1/2 cup butter , softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups mini marshmallows
For the frosting:
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar



Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, pour oil over cocoa powder and mix. Add softened butter and mix until smooth. Add sugar and mix for 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing really well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour and salt and stir to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  3. Remove brownies from the oven and sprinkle the marshmallows evenly on top. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows are puffed. Remove from oven and allow them to cool completely.
  4. Once brownies are cool, make the frosting.
  5. For the frosting: Add melted butter, cocoa powdered, evaporated milk, vanilla, and 2 cups of powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters until smooth. Add more powdered sugar, a cup at a time, mixing well, until you reach your desired frosting consistency. I usually use about 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar.
  6. Spread frosting over the cooled brownies and cut into squares. 



I'm sharing this with Tricky of the blog FAST for Five on Friday.









8 comments:

  1. Hello, sweet friend!
    Loved this one.
    Your cozy day summer meal looks and sounds delicious.
    Have you shared the recipe for the ribs?!?!
    LOVE the selfie!!!!
    You two are gorgeous!
    Please tell your daughter that her braces look awesome!
    Rhett got his on last week...
    He is getting used to them slowly!
    Have a great weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo :)
      I think I have shared the ribs recipe before - but here it is and couldn't be easier. I usually use country style bone in ribs. I brown them first in a little butter and olive oil. And I take the out and brown some onion slices in the drippings. Then I take a favorite BBQ sauce (store bought usually) and I layer some sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker. then I layer in the ribs and onions on top and pour the rest of the BBQ sauce over all. I cook on low for about 8 hours til they fall apart. Summer goodness!! xo

      Delete
    2. Oh and good luck to Rhett with his braces too! Lol xo

      Delete
  2. That garden looks beautiful! I love the picture of you and Annie - she looks so cute with the braces.
    I've made that Mississippi Mud - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice week! Beautiful Flowers, Food, and Family!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely moments from your week, especially the delicious food and the lovely walk - oh and everything else too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those brownies sound delicious and what a GREAT picture of you and Annie.

    ReplyDelete