Friday, February 24, 2017

Pretty February Love Lunch

Since my sweet little Annie has still been on break...and also has been working on her cooking skills - we decided to plan a fun cooking and baking lunch. Today was the day! So we put together a menu that Annie felt good about helping to execute. Then we called Nana and told her we were planning a luncheon for the end of the week and wanted her to be part of it. ;) Finally, we set to work! So here are the 5 parts of a girlie luncheon:


ONE


















The first step we did was to pick out a theme and make the table and everything look pretty. We had a beautiful bit of Valentine goodies we had received from my dear blogging friend Patsy - so we knew we wanted to use some of those items. We thought red, Valentine-ish, and "love" would be our main theme. We put down the pretty red runner and sparkly jewels from Patsy. As well as the pretty ribbon around some fresh flowers I had picked up at the grocery store.  We then used a valentine sign I already had about how much we love family. And finished the centerpiece off with some flameless red tealights I had. WE set the table with our every day dishes as they're already a pretty cranberry kind of red. 









TWO













Next, we got to work on our menu. Annie has gotten pretty good at making pasta (with supervision yet) - so we made lasagna pasta, salad boats, and garlic bread. We all drank peach iced tea with our meal. I usually make lasagna pasta with farfalle (bow tie) pasta as they have the ruffley edge like a lasagna noodle. But didn't have those on hand so we went with elbow macaroni. Lasagna pasta is basically pasta in a red sauce (with meat or without depending what you want), but with a bit of sour cream and shredded mozzarella mixed in to make it a little cheesy and a little creamy. I have the recipe for this under my recipe tab above. We had easy garlic bread in the freezer so just baked that up. And then we used strips of romaine filled with veggies as our salad. Just add dressing of choice, sunflower seeds, croutons etc. They're fun to eat as you can just pick up your "boat" and nibble. It was yummy and the pasta was a pretty blush red to fit our theme. 









THREE







No girlie lunch is complete without dessert of course! So for our next luncheon step we made a cherry cola poke cake. Which is basically a vanilla cake mix made according to its 13x9 directions. Once baked let it cool for 15 minutes. Then take a 6 oz cherry jello packet and empty it into a bowl. Add a 12 oz can of coca cola and 1/2 cup of cold water.  Mix together for a couple of minutes. Poke holes all over top of the cake. Pour the cherry jello/cola mixture all over cake to soak into the holes. Chill in the fridge for 1/2 and hour. Then take it out and make frosting. Take a 3.5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix and put in a bowl. Add one cup of milk and a dash of vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Then stir in an 8 oz tub of cool whip. Frost cake and chill at least 3 hrs or overnight. To serve: cut a piece, top with chocolate sprinkles and a maraschino cherry. 












FOUR














For our next step - we decided to spend the rest of our girlie day visiting, listening to music and coloring. Nana liked coloring in the pretty flower coloring books. Annie and I decided to color in a sticker coloring book we had  -and used the stickers we colored to help make her some cards that she could bring home as her takeaway for being our guest (even if she is just Nana). ;) So we used the coloring book stickers, doilies to glue on, washi tape, lace etc and had a creative blast! Nana was thrilled with her "gifts" - as well as leftovers to take home. 












FIVE

Whip up this adorable DIY Pot of Gold for your St. Patrick's Day festivities!  Created by createcraftlove.com for The 36th Avenue!:



cute and easy... mini flower pot, gold candy, and rainbow colored pipe cleaners !:



Lucky Charm Marshmallow Rice Krispies:





These Irish Potato bites are the perfect St. Patricks Day recipe! Little bites of potato filled with corned beef and cheese, what could be a better St. Patricks Day appetizer?!:


And the final step of a fun girlie lunch is talking about and planning the next one!! So we discussed plans for maybe a St. Patty's Day girlie lunch next time. It's fun to dream and think about what we want to come up with - almost more fun than the lunch itself! Lol  Pinterest is a favorite inspiration and all of these above ideas can be found on pinterest.  I hope you can get together with the special Girls/People in your life for a treasured afternoon sometime soon!  


I'm sharing this with:



Cooking and Crafting with J & J Link Up




Beverly's PINK SATURDAY



Scraptastic Saturdays every Saturday @ 8 PM EST.





15 comments:

  1. What a fun luncheon you and your Annie prepared. Everything is so pretty and the food looks delicious.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Italian, so your girlie meal looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! Everything looks so pretty and yummy too! Tell Annie she did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun! You're a good mama I can tell

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely lovely!!
    I love it all, Carrie!
    All of it.
    Good job, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Carrie!! This lunch looks soooooo amazing! You girls outdid yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I am glad to hear Annie likes to cook. I could lick that frosting! Yummy.
    We got 4+ inches this weekend and I see a few flurries for ambiance now. LOL
    Warm Hugs,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, this is such a sweet! idea :) I love that Annie had such a big part in the planning and executing of this special luncheon. I'm sure Nana loved all the thought that went into the preparation. My daughter was never interested in baking or cooking (except for licking the spoon!). My heart pangs a little when I see what could have been ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, this is a lovely setting for a girlie party. Love the colour theme. Your luncheon looks yummy, especially that dessert. I really liked the colouring project too. Such a fun time you all must have had.

    Wishing you a beautiful week ahead.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful get together and meal! love it! If we lived closer I bet our girls would get along great and I think you and I would too with lots of luncheons and dinner parties :-) It seems it's becoming a lost art to entertain this way and I find it sad. I love doing special things like this and enjoy seeing others do it as well! Thank you for sharing this special time with us! Have a wonderful week!

    Blessings
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a caring, loving wife, mother, in-law, and friend. You are certainly putting stars in your crown. I'm blessed to have you as my little Blogbuddy.

    Congrats to Annie on her volleyball championship win. Whoo-Hoo. And how about a photo of her dinner next Monday?

    Your red lunch was lovely and I'll be a Copy Cat soon and make lettuce boat salads. And your pasta looks better than my Thursday lasagna. I'm sure this is one of those occasions where we could say, "A good time was had by all".

    The cherry cola cake fit perfectly with your theme, and I'll try it very soon. I'm getting quite a collection of poke cakes, and this will be a nice addition.

    Love to you and yours, Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely thing to do. It looks as if you all had a really good time. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry to be late visiting, but I wanted to wait until the link had closed and I could write to everyone who had taken part. Thank you so much for your support of Five On Friday this week and in the weeks gone by. I do so appreciate it and have really enjoyed reading your posts. I hope that you will enjoy going to the new link up just as much and will continue to take part. I hope that I will still see you at my blog sometimes, I will of course still be visiting you sometimes too! Best wishes and many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a perfect plan and opportunity for fun and learning. Everything looks wonderful. Special memories made.♥

    Happy Pink Saturday, Carrie. I am so glad you joined us, and I hope you will come every Pink Saturday. This post is being featured on my Pink Saturday post this week as "the one with the most clicks".

    ReplyDelete